Sheikh Ibrahim Al-Ansari Receives 6-Month Jail Term over Religious Lecture
2020-11-19 - 8:47 p
Bahrain Mirror: A Bahraini court sentenced on Wednesday (November 18, 2020) Shiite cleric Sheikh Ibrahim Al-Ansari to 6 months over a religious sermon he delivered in Ashura.
The authorities claimed that Al-Ansari insulted figures glorified by another sect.
The authorities have been holding Sheikh Al-Ansari since he was summoned more than two months ago and have not agreed to release him on bail.
Authorities pursue Shiite clerics for their religious lectures, accuse them of insulting figures glorified by another sect for speaking about Yazid ibn Muawiyah, the murderer of Imam Hussein, or for talking about other historical figures, in an attempt to religiously restrict the Shiite majority.
- 2021-08-04Appeals Court Upholds 2-Year Jail Verdict against Mohammad Al-Zayani
- 2021-04-17Only 3-Year Prison Term Handed Down to Three Bahrainis who Joined ISIS
- 2021-04-16Bahraini Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison, Charged with Throwing Molotov Cocktail at Police Car
- 2021-04-09Bahrain Court Fines 5 Members of Prisoners' Families 1,000 BD Each for Violating Ban on Gatherings
- 2020-08-26Cassation Court Upholds One-Year Jail Term against Sheikh Abdulmohsen Al-Jamri over Religious Lecture